Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Pro Tip: When it's Time to Shoot, Shoot. Don't Command the Perp


A lesson can be learned from the heroic actions of the Capitol Police in the baseball park assassination attempt.

When it is time to shoot, shoot. The time to negotiate has ended when you are in the middle of a firefight. From heavy.com:
Fillus said a police agent pulled out a gun and tried to shoot back. She was screaming, “ ‘Drop your weapon!’ And he shot her and she fell on the ground.

“She fell on the ground in front of us, and we were all just trying to lay as flat we could. And I belly crawled, dragging through the mud. I got to the car and I ducked under the car and I laid as close as I could under the car to hide from the person. Then the police seemed to come.”
Police have been trained to command a suspect to "drop the weapon".  In combat, you drop to the level of your training.  In this case it did not work well.  The officer shouting the commands drew fire, and was shot. Fortunately, it was not a fatal wound. It appears to have taken her out of the fight, at least for a time.

A little more bad luck on the remaining officer, and things could have been much, much worse.

The Tuco bathtub scene from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a great aid to make this point while teaching armed defense. It is a cultural icon that most people remember. When it is time to shoot, shoot.

Link to video clip of the Tuco scene

Talking interferes with shooting. It is hard to do both at the same time.

©2017 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.

Gun Watch

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me think, How many times Have I said that right here on this blog? Once the gun is out and pointed the trigger pull on most guns is nothing. Most guns are not out and pointed if there is no round under the hammer. It is not your responsibility to know if they intend to shoot. every situation requires some thought, No situation requires you to take a bullet. Unless you are a good with a gun as I am don't even think about trying to shoot the weapon out of their hand. I would not in most circumstances. If your first shot does not take down fire a better aimed shot to finish the job. If they are not flat they can still fire. then you always have the sneaky one that will go down and wait for the chance to get off a shot. the clue in being required to use deadly force is if they were trying to or threatening to kill you or someone else. Always remember it was their choice. as long as they have a hand on the gun they can still fire.

Anonymous said...

Dean:

Google runs capha. If I have to sign in or sign up Google will prevent me from posting anything. Google demanded I download several programs to keep my account with Google that I never used any way. I told them to stick my account where the sun don't shine. Google has been blocking my posts all over the net. If you don't want me to post say so and I'll stop but I refuse to use Google for anything. Google has blocked my email address on numerous sites. I refuse to give them access to my system.

Anonymous said...

there are conspiracy theories all over every where. One was just revealed as true. I believe it was the CIA that paid MSN 600 million dollars to destroy Trump. I 'm hoping another conspiracy that can be proven, that NSA, DHS or the CIA paid for the free version of Windows !0. Newer computer systems have been proven to be built with and designed for back door access by spy agencies without anyone able to detect they are there. Explain how SKYPE works. Explain why such an expensive program can be given away for free. Explain why Google can demand you allow downloads. I hear England is suing Google over this very issued. at least according to my ISP. We have a fourth amendment against illegal search and seizure without legal warrants. computers are our modern day file cabinets. Our papers and documents are private. by the fifth amendment you can not be forced to testify against your self. government can not prosecute you using your documents they obtained illegally You have to be served with a warrant before government can take your papers and documents. the warrant must be specific, not illegal access to everything in your file cabinet or desk, or under your bed. cops ask you for your drivers license because they can not take it out of your wallet. think about how the 4th & 5th amendments apply in everyday life. stop and frisk is unconstitutional without a warrant. Arizona Passed a Law, Cops can not stop you just to ask if you are armed. National reciprocity would have prevent the cop shooting the guy in his car after asking if he had a weapon. FACT is you do not have to answer any question any cop asks you without an attorney present. Have I got a story about how well this works. I was asleep in the back seat of a car when the driver was stopped. cop ordered me out of the car. He stopped the drive not me he had no legal control over me. I just set there and smiled. after about 20 minute I asked if I was free to go, he said yes and I walked home.