Thursday, October 15, 2009



South Carolina man shoots son: "No charges will be filed against the Harkers Island man who fatally shot his son in his home recently. The County Sheriff’s Department said Thursday that District Attorney Scott Thomas would not file charges against Cleveland Hackworth, 67, who shot and killed his son, Blake Hackworth, 45, in an incident at the family residence on Harkers Island on Sept. 27. According to Capt. Jason Wank, based upon the facts and the law, Mr. Thomas reviewed the sheriff’s department’s case and concluded the incident was a justifiable homicide and that no criminal charges will be filed against Cleveland Hackworth. The incident occurred following a day of aggressive behavior by the son that included attempted assault on his mother and his threatening to kill her. “Family members said Mr. Hackworth had been exhibiting combative behavior for most of the day when the shooting took place,” Chief Deputy Ken Raper said at the time of the incident. Police reports stated Blake Hackworth died Sept. 27 from the head wound he sustained after his father shot him as the junior Hackworth attempted to attack both his father and his mother, Peggy Hackworth".


FL: Two burglars shot: "An Orange County man caught two burglars breaking into his house, so he pulled out his gun and shot them both Tuesday night. One of the burglars was killed and the other is in critical condition. The deceased burglar was identified as 17-year-old Brandon Martinez. Deputies say the owner of the house on Rubens Court (see map) won't be arrested. They say he did nothing wrong. The homeowner, along with his brother and son, had just gotten home from work when he confronted the burglars Tuesday night. They had already ransacked his house and even tried to get into a safe. Anthony Julien, 50, insists he had no choice but to take action. “The way I look at it is like they invade my privacy and I was scared when I come in, so I defended, you know, my property,” he said. Julien took Eyewitness News step-by-step on what happened when he confronted the two burglars in his house.“I come in. I look to my left, one this way, one here. I had my gun like this and he was there, so I come in like that. When I come in, he run this way and he point his gun at me, then I go down and I 'pow,'" Julien described. “I keep on walking to him, walking to him, walking to him, he get up and I 'pow’ and I leave him." Julien then focused on a second man in another bedroom. “He run up from here, coming out to me, when come out, ’Pow!’ He fell to the ground there,” Julien said. When Julien went outside to call 911, somehow one of the suspects was able to run away, but he didn't get far. Jonathan Rodriguez, 25, collapsed in the driveway of a home one street behind Julien's house."


Three pro-gun rights senators file amicus brief in McDonald case: "Two pro-gun rights senators are wading into a lawsuit pending before the Supreme Court that could further expand the Second Amendment and restrict governments’ ability to police the flow of firearms. Sens. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) and Jon Tester (D-Mont.) are joining Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.) in filing a joint amicus brief before the Supreme Court — repeating an effort they first made last year in the District of Columbia’s gun-rights case. The lawmakers say they plan to ask justices to apply the Second Amendment more forcibly to states, siding with the National Rifle Association in seeking to overturn the city of Chicago’s handgun registration laws.”


The fear of “empty holsters”: "Later on, I walked away from the demonstration to meet a friend and fellow Second Amendment Sister a few blocks away. While we were standing on the sidewalk taking, two LEOs approached me, one of them, I think a DHS officer, was bending over sideways to look at my holster. He asked me to come over to where he was so he could ‘talk to me’ so our whole group moved closer to him. He didn’t like that much, but he asked me if I had a weapon and I responded that I was aware of the prohibition on guns in DC. I explained that the holster was a ’silent protest’ to the gun ban in DC. He then said that he would have to ask me to remove my holster and I got the distinct feeling that he intended to confiscate it. When my husband pulled the video camera out of the bag, he changed his tone only slightly and asked me again to remove the holster, this time saying that I needed to “put it away”.

No comments: