Wednesday, September 01, 2004

30 second gun-rights conversion

"I had argued with my antigun liberal friend about gun control in the past. She finally asked me today, "Why should someone be allowed to have a machinegun?"

"Why not?" I asked. This didn't work. She asked again.

And I said, "Do you think the Bush administration should have a monopoly on guns? To do here what it has already done in Baghdad? Isn't that scary? You know, every genocide in the 20th history began with gun control. One of the few differences between us and 1930s Germany is that we still have some of our gun rights left. As long as we do, we have some hope against fascism."

"You know, you're right," she said. "I never thought of that. It's so obvious, though. Why doesn't anyone realize that? It's so obvious. If you have all the guns, you're a dictator."

This wasn't the first time that invoking the frightening Bush administration has helped me make a liberal friend rethink his or her entire opinion on the gun issue".

(From the Rockwell blog.)




One of my readers reports a similar conversation: " A Leftist conceded that Mao's statement "all power comes from the barrel of a gun" is correct, he thus conceded that gun prohibitions are profoundly anti-democratic"


No comments: